Pancreas transplantation is a healing option for patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus that have advanced giant headaches of diabetes along with:
- Retinal sickness
- Nerve issues
- Hypoglycemic unawareness (incapacity to feel whilst blood glucose is low). Hypoglycemic unawareness can be an existence-threatening situation because patients may additionally enjoy car injuries or different problems due to the fact they do now not realize that their blood sugar is too low.
A pancreas transplant is a surgical procedure carried out to provide a patient with kind 1 diabetes mellitus a healthful pancreas from a deceased organ donor.
The diseased pancreas is left in vicinity during the transplant manner due to the fact although it no longer produces insulin,
it does nonetheless produce enzymes had to digest the food you eat. The transplanted pancreas is located in the decrease stomach at the the front side of the frame.
While the transplanted pancreas functions properly, sufferers are able to stop insulin injections right now after transplant.
There are several styles of pancreas transplant that could arise:
- Simultaneous pancreas kidney transplant is executed in patients who additionally want a kidney transplant because of kidney failure from diabetes. The transplant is finished the use of organs from a unmarried donor.
- Pancreas after kidney transplant is completed in sufferers who have already had a kidney transplant (commonly from a dwelling donor). The pancreas transplant generally takes place at the least 6 months after the kidney transplant become finished, and the patient then has organs from 2 separate donors.
- Pancreas transplant by myself is achieved in sufferers who do not have kidney disorder from their diabetes, but they do have other diabetes complications including eye or nerve harm and hypoglycemic unawareness.
Common symptoms are:
- Upper abdominal pain that radiates into the back
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss